Cupcakes with crowns for the queen of the family!
Lovely trainer Vicki from our Garden to Plate program has dug up this special recipe for the ultimate Mother’s Day indulgence – serve these up and Mum will definitely feel like royalty! 👑
Prep: 30 Minutes
Cook: 30 Minutes – Medium
- 140g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus 75g extra
- 140g caster sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp elderflower cordial, plus 1 Tbsp extra
- 150g icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp glucose syrup
- Raspberries, to decorate
- Edible gold glitter, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced (180°C conventional). Combine butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Beat eggs and egg yolk in a medium bowl, then add to mixer on low speed in a steady stream until combined. Fold in almond meal. Fold in flour and milk, alternating, in batches, then cordial.
- Pipe batter into a 12-hole 1 /3 cup capacity muffin tray lined with paper cases. Bake for 25 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine extra butter with icing sugar in bowl of electric mixer and beat on high for 5 minutes, until very light, scraping sides. Reduce speed to medium, add extra cordial in steady stream, beating until smooth. Spread over cakes.
- To make caramel crowns, heat caster sugar and glucose syrup with ½ cup water in a small heavy base saucepan over high heat. Cook until syrup reaches a deep brown colour (135°C), then dip the base of the saucepan in cold water to stop the cooking. Sprinkle the back of a small ladle with cooking oil, then drizzle caramel over to form a crown. As soon as the caramel firms up, twist to remove and set aside. Repeat to make 12 crowns
- Place a crown on top of each cake and put raspberries in the middle. Decorate with gold glitter
Lemon and Elderflower Cupcakes with Caramel Crowns recipe and image source credit Better Homes & Gardens.