This course is intended to further enhance the development of literacy and numeracy skills for learners with intellectual disabilities, focusing on simple tasks that can be adapted to their everyday lives, allowing for flexible selection of units to maximise their opportunities. The content and structure of this course focuses on life skills including personal development, engagement in the community as well as moving towards further education/training or supported employment.
- Building on interests, abilities and strengths
- Focus on practical ‘hands on’ learning
- Encourage personal development and growth
- Recognition of student achievement and contributions both formal and informal
- Enabling students to learn at own pace
- Learning in different ways according to different learning styles
Units may include:-
- Read simple sentences
- Write simple sentences
- Communicate orally using simple sentences
- Give and follow simple directions
- Recognise and interpret safety signs and symbols
- Count and use numbers 1 to 100
- Use simple metric weights
- Use simple liquid measures
- Use coins and notes
- Use simple addition skills
- Use simple subtraction skills
This course will be conducted over 5 months, either 1 x 6hr session per week or 2 x 3hr sessions per week.
This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding.
The student tuition fees as published are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment.